Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Habits to Cultivate

I don't recall where I found this list, but it is a helpful one! I choose a few a term, as needed. I have another resource that lays out Scriptures teaching character traits that I review with the children. Then we all make a point to watch for opportunities to practice the habit we are focusing on learning.

Decency and Propriety Habits

Cleanliness
Courtesy
Kindness
Manners
Modesty and Purity
Neatness
Order
Regularity
Candor
Courage
Diligence
Fortitude
Generosity
Gentleness
Meekness
Patience
Respect
Temperance
Thrift
~
Mental Habits

Attention
Imagining
Meditation
Memorizing
Mental Effort
Observation
Perfect Execution
Reading for Instruction
Remembering
Thinking
Accuracy
Concentration
Reflection
Thoroughness
~
Moral Habits

Integrity
Priorities
Finishing
Use of Time
Borrowed Property
Obedience
Personal Initiative
Reverence
Self-Control
Sweet, Even Temper
Truthfulness
Usefulness
~
Physical Habits

Alertness to Seize
Opportunities
Fortitude
Health
Managing One’s Own Body
Music
Outdoor Life
Quick Perception of Senses
Self-Control in Emergencies
Self-Discipline in Habits
Self-Restraint in Indulgences
Training the Ear and Voice
~

3 comments:

  1. "I have another resource that lays out Scriptures teaching character traits that I review with the children."

    Ok, girl that was just mean. Link to the resource! I've been wanting something to help me teach character to the kids. If you have a resource, share it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked for a link last night. I couldn't find one. I was brain-tired, though. I will look more today and edit if I come up with it. It will likely be easy to find today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny that you're posting this. I just got "Laying Down The Rails" from Simply Charlotte Mason. And this list closely mimics it.

    Dakota

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please feel free to leave kind words, new ideas, requests for recipes, even gentle criticism if needed in the spirit of Proverbs 16:24.

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones."